Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Den: Continued

Wow, it's been over a month since I started working on the den. I think I sort of bit off more than I could chew this time. I say sort of because 1) I can do the job, but 2) it's taking WAY longer than I ever imagined. I believe age has a lot to do with this problem. You know, I think it's true when they say, "it's all downhill once you hit 50". But I've also heard it about 30, 40, 50, etc. Guess it's been a downhill climb for years but now I'm rolling full steam ahead!
I want to post pictures for you, but I would rather finish up the room first. I'm almost done, all that is left is to paint the left wall as you walk into the room and paint the baseboards one more time.
One of the major problems with this room was not the installation of the boards and batten, but the PAINT. I started with a Behr satin finish. Then I decided to go with a semi-gloss. I purchased the Behr Premium Plus Ultra which has the primer in it. Well, after noticing major streaking (you could see the color of the Zinsser primer underneath) after 3 coats, I called Behr. Yeah, they called me, and suggested that I was going to need 2 more gallons of paint to get proper coverage. Hello?? This room is 12 x 12 feet and I was only painting 5 feet up on a 9 foot wall! Sure they would reimburse me for the extra 2 gallons, but who was going to reimburse me on the time?
So I changed paints. I went with Benjamin Moore Aura after reading various reviews. Holy guacamole! $60/can! I could not get a good match so I just completely changed colors to something lighter, sort of an off white. I've gotten great coverage with it. 2 coats. But it dries FAST! No sooner do I brush it on and it's already drying to where I can't go over it with the next brushing. So you have to work fast and don't go over your previous strokes.
I also decided to add 2 shelves to the wall on the right of the door. I just got that up and screwed in place tonight.
This job has shown me how wavy and uneven our walls are. Never going the panel installation route again. But if and when we decide to sell and move from here, the new owners can remove everything since nothing is glued in place. Just nails and caulking, etc.
Last night my hubby said I can have the room for me since it is downstairs and he likes it upstairs. I HAD told him he could take it. But I'm happy to take it. I was mine before, hehehe! And one day when my Dad comes home, it can be his room again. So I'm gathering knick-knacks to put on the shelves. If only I had all the beautiful things my Mother had given me before I had kids! See ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment